Monday, March 05, 2007

Things I'm Getting Used To (but maybe shouldn't)

I have been in the US for 6 months already, and some of the initial culture shock that I had is beginning to wear off. Its a good thing, but I also feel how things which used to seem so extraordinary are becoming everyday. So I thought I'd list some of them here, as a reminder to myself as much as to anyone reading this. Here are some of them - there are a lot more.
  • pharmacy chains, lots of them, open 24 hours
  • disposable cups, plates and trays - use once and throw away, even in expensive cafes
  • coffee to go - everyone walks around slurping from these paper mugs before tossing them
  • or water to go - those that aren't drinking coffee are sipping water from bottles
  • ... and/or chewing gum (cliche but true)
  • ... and/or talking on a cell phone
  • chain me up: there is a Starbucks on every second block in Manhattan (see above)
  • baggy clothes and jeans worn half way down your hips
  • armed policemen (also in baggy clothes, but less stylish)
  • prudishness
  • being id'd at every bar I go into
  • ... to drink bad beer at high prices
  • media advertising (i.e. adverts for tv and film - everywhere - including ...)
  • yellow taxi cabs (media advertising on the roof)
  • craziest mix of people in your average subway car (including me)
  • the US flag everywhere: the average subway car, churches and gyms are just the start
  • spanish as a second language, by the banks, by the metro, even by the army to recruit (yo soy el army!)
  • bagels, especially as sold from little silver caravans on the side of the road for a dollar with some cream cheese
I'm becoming Americanized, I think, or at the very least gradually New Yorkified ... but there's a way to go yet.

No comments: