Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Burning Man

I wash the dirt from my feet in the basin of the restroom in a fast food restaurant on the outskirts of Reno. Try to flatten my hair. Step out of my dusty desert clothes into the last set of fresh ones I have. Splash water across my face. The basin stains with the pale brown of the desert dust, then washes it down with the small miracle of running water from a tap disappearing into a drain. I step out of the wash room feeling like I'm emerging from an airlock in a space station. I have come from out there, and now I am back in here again.


I spent the last week of my trip at the Burning Man festival in the Nevada Desert, with Tim, Joe, Alison and other people that I had met through Google. It is difficult to describe Burning Man in a paragraph, so I will say only that it was the strongest sense of being in an alternative reality that I've ever had, and if you're curious, I've uploaded photographs onto my Flickr page.

No comments: