Thursday, September 14, 2006

Wine in a Brown Paper Bag in Brooklyn

Last Friday I walked with a group of other IH students across the Brooklyn Bridge. This is the classic view of the bridge (with the Manhattan Bridge further in the background). It was a beautiful evening, full moon rising, and the bridge was crowded. You are walking on slats, so when you look down you can see the river beneath you ... and some of the girls in the group were in stilletos! I sprained my ankle just before I took this photo, and have the bruises to prove my bridge experience.

We were supposed to be going to a famous pizzeria just close to where the brige meets Brooklyn, but they didn't want so many people at once so a smaller group of us split off and walked (hop hop for me) down to Brooklyn Heights, where we got something else to eat.

After the meal we went down to the waterfront. On the way we stopped at a wine shop which was still open (11 at night, I love this) and bought a bottle of wine. When we asked if it was a screw top (we thought we were being subtle), the owner promptly corked the wine for us, gave us plastic cups, and that famous Brown Paper Bag. Abel (Germany), Catherine (Korea) and I drank the wine (in the bag) to this view over Manhattan. The light beam is the "Towers of Light" from Ground Zero which was marking the 9/11 anniversary; I'll post more photos of this later from a night-time visit to the site.

No comments: